Please click here for more information on our COVID Updates.
Self-ligating braces are made from the same materials as traditional braces; however, self-ligating braces do not require the use of elastics, meaning fewer appointments and less friction being placed on the tooth.
Self-ligating braces come with traditional metal, ceramic, or clear brackets. They are the same size as metal braces, but with more options they can provide a more aesthetic appearance, particularly for adult patients.
How do self-ligating braces work?
Self-ligating braces use a specialized clip in place of elastics to help the archwire guide teeth into place. The clip helps reduce the amount of pressure being placed on the tooth, and decreases the number of adjustments because there are no elastics to replace.
There are two types of self-ligating brackets:
- Passive — Passive brackets use a smaller archwire that creates less friction and allows teeth to move more freely. Passive brackets are often used at the beginning of treatment to help the teeth start moving into position.
- Active — Active brackets use a much thicker archwire that delivers greater pressure to the teeth and more aggressively moves them into position. The active brackets also offer more control for consistent, strong results.
In-Ovation self-ligating braces
At Dr. Paul J. Styrt, Specialists in Orthodontics & Pediatric Dentistry, we use the In-Ovation brand of self-ligating braces. The In-Ovation System is a new and technically advanced system that can give you the radiant smile you have always wanted more quickly than traditional braces, and without the need for ugly, unsanitary, and uncomfortable ties or elastics.
- Traditional braces: Elastics and ties used in older braces put pressure and friction on teeth which slows treatment and causes discomfort.
- In-Ovation braces: With the In-Ovation R system, teeth are free to move more quickly, easily, and comfortably.
5 benefits of In-Ovation self-ligating braces
- Faster results
- Shorter appointments
- Fewer office visits
- Greater comfort
- Improved facial proportion and appearance