Please click here for more information on our COVID Updates.
Many of today's braces are made from either clear or natural tooth colored materials to provide patients with an attractive, less noticeable alternative to traditional braces. At Dr. Paul J. Styrt, Specialists in Orthodontics & Pediatric Dentistry, we offer clear braces to our patients in La Jolla.
What are clear braces?
Clear braces are the same as traditional metal braces except the brackets which are bonded to the surface of your teeth are clear. These brackets are made from a ceramic material which means they’re strong yet discreet, so are less noticeable but still effective.
Clear braces are different from Invisalign clear aligners. Clear aligners are pieces of hard plastic that are designed to fit into your mouth like a mouth guard, whereas clear braces use the same system as traditional metal braces.
Advantages and disadvantages of clear braces
Advantages of clear braces include:
- Appearance: Ceramic braces and clear braces are much less noticeable than traditional metal braces.
- Confidence: Many patients who choose ceramic or clear braces feel more confident about their orthodontic treatment, especially knowing that people are focusing on their smiles rather than their braces.
Disadvantages of clear braces include:
- CostCost: Ceramic and clear braces are often more expensive than traditional metal braces.
- Discoloration: The clear elastic ties used with clear and ceramic braces may become slightly discolored from dark food or drink.
- Treatment time: Orthodontic treatment with clear or ceramic braces can sometimes take longer than with traditional metal braces.
Are clear braces right for me?
By talking to our orthodontist, you can decide if clear or ceramic braces are the right treatment for you. Our team is happy to provide answers to your questions and extra information explaining the benefits of each treatment.Book your free consultation